U.S. embassy in Sanaa, Yemen reopens after security threats

WASHINGTON Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:30pm EDT

A general view shows the concrete barriers at the entrance to the U.S. embassy in Sanaa August 7, 2013. REUTERS/Mohamed al-Sayaghi

A general view shows the concrete barriers at the entrance to the U.S. embassy in Sanaa August 7, 2013.

Credit: Reuters/Mohamed al-Sayaghi

Related Topics

Photo

MH17 crash site

The aftermath of the Malaysian airliner crash.  Slideshow 

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. embassy in Sanaa, Yemen, reopened on Sunday after closing earlier this month due to concerns over potential terrorism attacks, the U.S. State Department said.

The Yemen embassy was one of about 20 U.S. embassies and consulates in the Middle East and Africa that were closed in early August when the United States said it had picked up information about unspecified terrorism threats.

The reopened embassy in Yemen will "provide limited public services," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said. Although the post was reopened on Sunday, the department released the announcement on Tuesday.

Most of the other shuttered embassies and consulates were reopened earlier, on Sunday, August 11, but the Yemen embassy had remained closed because of ongoing concerns about potential attacks.

Britain also reopened its embassy in Sanaa on Sunday.

(Reporting by Arshad Mohammed and Ayesha Rascoe)

FILED UNDER:
Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.