U.S. would only act on Syria with international community-Hagel
JAKARTA Aug 26 (Reuters) - The United States would only take action on Syria in concert with the international community and within a legal framework in response to the alleged chemical weapons attacks in Damascus, U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said on Monday.
Hagel, speaking to reporters on a trip to Indonesia, declined to discuss U.S. military options under consideration by the White House, or to say whether he thought a military response was likely. A senior U.S. official said Hagel intended to reach out to his British and French counterparts to discuss the situation in Syria. (Reporting by Phil Stewart; Editing by David Brunnstrom)
- Flights delayed as air pollution hits record in Shanghai
- White House reverses, says Obama met uncle and lived with him during law school
- South Africa mourns Mandela, will bury him on December 15 |
- French launch Central African Republic mission but deaths mount
- Supreme Court to decide on patent protections for software