Treasury Secretary: Congress must act to raise debt limit
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Treasury Secretary Jack Lew on Tuesday said it is essential for Congress to raise the statutory borrowing limit this fall so the government can continue to pay its bills on time, and he warned the administration will not allow politicians to use the debt ceiling as political leverage.
"Congress should come back and they should act," Lew said in an interview on CNBC. "The president will not negotiate conditions on the debt limit."
(Reporting By Margaret Chadbourn Editing by W Simon)
- Special Report: Thailand secretly supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking rings |
- UPDATE 2-China bars banks from bitcoin transactions
- The 10 Most Corrupt and Least Corrupt Countries in the World
- Obama says he's not allowed iPhone for 'security reasons'
- Ford launches new global Mustang to buoy brand, boost margins