Azarenka steams into third round at U.S. Open
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Victoria Azarenka charged into the third round of the U.S. Open on Thursday with a 6-3 6-1 win over Canada's Aleksandra Wozniak.
Last year's U.S. Open runner-up, Azarenka had some problems with her serve on a windy day and was broken three times.
But the world number two was always in control of the match and cruised to victory in a little over an hour.
Her opponent in the third round is Alize Cornet of France, the 26th seed, who beat Croatia's Ajla Tomljanovic 6-2 6-2.
(Reporting by Julian Linden; Editing by Frank Pingue)
- IPhone emerges from 'bygone era', reviewers hail bigger handset
- Divided, Scots prepare to vote on fate of the United Kingdom |
- Fed renews zero rate pledge, but hints at steeper rate hike path |
- Boeing, SpaceX win contracts to build 'space taxis' for NASA
- Islamic State campaign tests Obama's commitment to Mideast allies