PON Rallies Broadband Aggregation Market in Q2, Reports Infonetics Research
Market research firm Infonetics Research released vendor market share and analysis from its 2nd quarter 2013 (2Q13) PON, FTTH, and DSL Aggregation Equipment and Subscribers report.
“Thanks to increases in PON equipment spending across the globe—particularly Gigabit PON (GPON)—the broadband aggregation equipment market bounced back in the second quarter,” notes Jeff Heynen, principal analyst for broadband access and pay TV at Infonetics Research.
Heynen adds: “In the EMEA region, PON equipment revenue jumped 71% over the previous quarter, aided largely by projects in Russia that boosted the revenue of Huawei, ZTE, Alcatel-Lucent and ECI, the primary suppliers of GPON equipment to Russian operators.”
2Q13 BROADBAND AGGREGATION MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The global broadband aggregation market (PON, FTTH, and DSL equipment) grew 6% sequentially in 2Q13, to $1.6 billion
- In the critical Chinese market, spending on GPON equipment was up again in 2Q13, as China Unicom and China Telecom continue to roll out GPON-based FTTH and now FTTB
- Total revenue for broadband aggregation gear in EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) rebounded nicely in 2Q13, though DSL equipment revenue slumped to its lowest level ever
- North America also bounced back from a lackluster 1st quarter, but Ethernet PON spending dipped 8% after a 240% gain in 1Q13; even so, shipments of EPON gear to cable operators for business services based on DPoE (DOCSIS Provisioning of EPON) continue unabated
- Broadband aggregation market share leaders Huawei, Alcatel-Lucent, and ZTE held onto the top 3 spots in 2Q13, while ECI Telecom and Adtran showed strong growth
- Operators in Western Europe are forgoing large-scale FTTH rollouts in favor of VDSL2: Belgacom, KPN, British Telecom, France Telecom, and Deutsche Telekom have been joined by Turk Telecom, Telekom Austria, and others deploying VDSL2
BROADBAND REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics’ quarterly broadband aggregation report provides worldwide and regional market size, market share, forecasts through 2017, analysis, and trends for EPON, GPON, FTTH, FTTB, PON, and DSL aggregation equipment and subscribers. Vendors tracked: Adtran, Alcatel-Lucent, Calix, Dasan, ECI Telecom, Fiberhome, Fujitsu, Genexis, Hitachi, Huawei, Mitsubishi, Motorola, OF Networks, PacketFront, Sumitomo, Tellabs, Ubiquoss, Zhone, ZTE, ZyXEL, others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
- Latest Infonetics Broadband Access research brief: http://bit.ly/15aHGYb
- First CCAP deployments underway; impact already being felt in cable broadband market
- Tight race between Huawei, Ericsson, Cisco at top of Infonetics telecom vendor scorecard
- Service providers and enterprises to spend $1 trillion on telecom and datacom over 5 years
- Russia, Brazil have higher FTTH subscriber take-rates, lower GPON spending than China
- Politics playing role in growth of cable broadband and Ethernet over Coax (EoC) in China
- CCAP deployments imminent, expected to spark cable broadband market
RECENT & UPCOMING RESEARCH
- Research note: Are Gateways Saving the European Video Business?
- Broadband CPE & Subscribers: PON, FTTH, Cable & DSL Market Forecast - 2Q13
- Home Networking Devices Market Forecast
- Set-Top Boxes & Pay TV Subscribers Market Forecast - 2Q13
- Tier 3 Broadband Expansion, Service Strategies, and Vendor Leadership Survey
Visit https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to register for upcoming webinars, view recent webinars on demand or learn about sponsoring a webinar.
- Small Cells Reality Check (Sept. 10: Learn more / register)
- The OTN Expansion: The Next Carrier Upgrade Cycle (Sept. 17: Learn more / register)
- SMS/MMS Security Strategies for Mobile Carriers (Sept. 19: Learn more / register)
- Accelerating DOCSIS 3.1 (Dec. 3: Sponsorships available)
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT:
N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 408-583-3335
N. America (East), Midwest, L. America: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1 408-583-3395
EMEA, India, Singapore: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 755-488-1623
Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize and compete effectively. View Infonetics’ About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.