Hagel estimates cost of Syria strike at 'tens of millions' of dollars
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told lawmakers on Wednesday that a limited military strike against Syria was expected to cost "tens of millions" of dollars.
"We have looked at the different costs, depending on the different options," Hagel told a hearing in the House of Representatives. "It would be in the tens of millions of dollars, that kind of range."
Pentagon officials previously had not disclosed cost estimates for a military operation, but a Pentagon spokesman said on Wednesday that it could probably be funded with existing Defense Department resources without a request for supplemental funding.
(Reporting by David Alexander)
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- North Korea executes leader's powerful uncle in rare public purge |
- Student opens fire at Colorado high school, wounds two classmates
- Man arrested for suspected suicide plot to blow up Kansas airport |
- Hawaii official who released Obama birth certificate dies in plane crash