Monte Paschi CEO says no meeting with EU's Almunia at conference
CERNOBBIO, Italy Sept 6
CERNOBBIO, Italy Sept 6 (Reuters) - Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena chief Fabrizio Viola denied on Friday he is to meet with EU Commissioner Joaquin Almunia during a conference this weekend.
Italian press had reported the chief executive could meet with the EU competition head to discuss the bank's restructuring plan during a conference in the Italian town of Cernobbio.
The scandal-plagued bank received a state bailout of 4.1 billion euros ($5.38 billion) earlier this year, and the EU needs to sign off on its business plan. ($1 = 0.7623 euros) (Reporting By Gianluca Semeraro, writing by Isla Binnie, editing by Jennifer Clark)
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Putin critic Khodorkovsky in Germany after pardon
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |
- Pizza outlet attacked as India, U.S. fail to cool diplomat row |
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter