Monte Paschi CEO says no meeting with EU's Almunia at conference
CERNOBBIO, Italy Sept 6
CERNOBBIO, Italy Sept 6 (Reuters) - Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena chief Fabrizio Viola denied on Friday he is to meet with EU Commissioner Joaquin Almunia during a conference this weekend.
Italian press had reported the chief executive could meet with the EU competition head to discuss the bank's restructuring plan during a conference in the Italian town of Cernobbio.
The scandal-plagued bank received a state bailout of 4.1 billion euros ($5.38 billion) earlier this year, and the EU needs to sign off on its business plan. ($1 = 0.7623 euros) (Reporting By Gianluca Semeraro, writing by Isla Binnie, editing by Jennifer Clark)
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
- Probation for drunk Texas teen driver who killed four sparks backlash
- North Korea says Jang Song Thaek, uncle of leader Kim Jong Un, executed
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study