Kerry welcomes 'strong' EU statement on Syria
VILNIUS (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry welcomed a European Union statement on Saturday that said there appeared to be strong evidence that the Syrian government carried out a chemical attack on civilians in August.
"We are very grateful for the statement that came out of the meeting today with respect to Syria -- a strong statement about the need for accountability," Kerry said after meeting EU foreign ministers in the Lithuanian capital Vilnius.
(Reporting by Arshad Mohammed; Editing by Adrian Croft)
- Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- Record cold, ice grip U.S.; more snow to blanket East
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
Protesters respond to calls to defend their demonstration from possible police intervention. Slideshow