Serena beats Azarenka to retain U.S. Open title
NEW YORK (Reuters) - World number one Serena Williams retained her U.S. Open women's singles title by defeating number two Victoria Azarenka of Belarus in three sets in windy conditions on Sunday.
American Williams won 7-5 6-7(6) 6-1 as she beat the gritty Azarenka for the second straight year in the women's final at Flushing Meadows.
(Reporting by Larry Fine; Editing by Gene Cherry)
- Google bus blocked in San Francisco gentrification protest
- Tearful Thai PM urges protesters to take part in election
- North Korea's 'reign of terror' worries South's leader
- Chinese hackers spied on Europeans before G20 meeting: researcher
- Leaders gather, thousands sing in rain in farewell to Mandela |