UPDATE 1-Football fan dies after fall at San Francisco 49ers' game
(Adds victim's name)
Sept 9 (Reuters) - A San Francisco 49ers football fan fell from an elevated walkway to his death on Sunday at Candlestick Park during the team's NFL season home opener, police said on Monday.
An investigator with the San Francisco medical examiner identified the man as Kevin Hayes, 32, of Hayward, California. He had no further details.
San Francisco police spokesman Gordon Shyy said he fell about 1:30 p.m. PDT from an elevated pedestrian walkway to the sidewalk as the game against the Green Bay Packers was starting.
Several witnesses said Hayes appeared to be drunk, Shyy said. He did not know how far he fell.
He said off-duty medics and police officers administered first aid until an ambulance arrived, but Hayes was pronounced dead. (Reporting by Ian Simpson; Editing by Scott Malone, Maureen Bavdek and Phil Berlowitz)
- WTO overcomes last minute hitch to reach its first global trade deal
- Colorado baker discriminated by denying gay couple wedding cake: judge
- U.S. freeze shows no sign of weekend melt after deadly storm
- Flights delayed as air pollution hits record in Shanghai
- Australia foreign minister downplays China air defense zone tension in visit