CORRECTED (OFFICIAL)-Direct Energy lays off 19 Calgary staff including 6 traders
(Company corrects number of traders to six from 19)
CALGARY, Alberta, Sept 10 (Reuters) - Direct Energy, the North America subsidiary of Britain's Centrica Plc, laid off 19 staff including six energy traders from its Calgary, Alberta, office on Tuesday, a company spokesman said.
"Change is a constant part of business. We must evolve with the changing needs of our customers and our business and unfortunately we had to take that step today," the spokesman said when asked about the reason for the lay offs.
He declined to specify whether those affected were gas or power traders, or how many traders were left at the Calgary office.
Direct Energy, which delivers energy to six million customers in Canada and the United States, has no plans for further lay offs in other offices, he said.
(Reporting by Nia Williams; Editing by Grant McCool and Bob Burgdorfer)
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters press on |
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Singapore hit by rare outbreak of rioting, 27 arrested |
- Venezuela's Maduro to raise pressure on business after local vote