CORRECTED (OFFICIAL)-Direct Energy lays off 19 Calgary staff including 6 traders
(Company corrects number of traders to six from 19)
CALGARY, Alberta, Sept 10 (Reuters) - Direct Energy, the North America subsidiary of Britain's Centrica Plc, laid off 19 staff including six energy traders from its Calgary, Alberta, office on Tuesday, a company spokesman said.
"Change is a constant part of business. We must evolve with the changing needs of our customers and our business and unfortunately we had to take that step today," the spokesman said when asked about the reason for the lay offs.
He declined to specify whether those affected were gas or power traders, or how many traders were left at the Calgary office.
Direct Energy, which delivers energy to six million customers in Canada and the United States, has no plans for further lay offs in other offices, he said.
(Reporting by Nia Williams; Editing by Grant McCool and Bob Burgdorfer)
- Sunken Korea ferry relatives give DNA swabs to help identify dead |
- Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits suicide |
- Special Report: How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- Death toll climbs to at least 13 in worst tragedy on Everest |
- All 338 Korean students, teachers rescued from sinking ferry - school official