Syria chemical plan can only work if U.S. rejects force-Putin
MOSCOW, Sept 10
MOSCOW, Sept 10 (Reuters) - A Russian proposal for Syria to place its chemical weapons arsenal under international control will not succeed unless the United States and its allies reject the use of force against Damascus, President Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday.
The proposal "can work only if we hear that the American side and all those who support the United States in this sense reject the use of force," Putin said in televised remarks.
He said he hoped the plan "will be a good step toward a peaceful resulution of the crisis".
(Reporting by Thomas Grove,; Writing by Steve Gutterman)
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
- North Korea says Jang Song Thaek, uncle of leader Kim Jong Un, executed
- Probation for drunk Texas teen driver who killed four sparks backlash
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study