Indian prosecutors seek death for four guilty in Delhi gang rape case
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - All four man convicted of the rape and murder of a 23-year old trainee physiotherapist on a New Delhi bus should face the death penalty, public prosecutor Dayan Krishna told a court on Wednesday.
The court on Tuesday found the four man -- bus cleaner Akshay Kumar Singh, gym instructor Vinay Sharma, fruit-seller Pawan Gupta, and unemployed Mukesh Singh -- guilty of rape and "cold-blooded" murder of the woman in December, a case that led to a nationwide public uproar about safety of women.
Judge Yogesh Khanna started hearing arguments from the prosecution and defense in a sentencing hearing on Wednesday. He may deliver the sentence later in the day or defer the decision.
(Reporting by Sanjeev Miglani)
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $400 million, 2nd-biggest ever
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year |
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- Thousands of South Africans line up to see Mandela lie in state |
- China bitcoin arbitrage ends as traders work around capital controls