Canada's Empire posts 24 pct fall in profit from continuing operations
Sept 12 (Reuters) - Empire Co Ltd, parent of Sobeys grocery chain, reported a 24 percent fall in first-quarter profit from continuing operations as competition increased and expenses rose due to its acquisition of the Canadian assets of Safeway Inc.
Net earnings from continuing operations fell to C$82.6 million ($79.9 million), or C$1.21 per share, in the quarter ended Aug. 3 from C$108.1 million, or C$1.59 per share, a year earlier.
Empire bought the Canadian assets of Safeway for $5.7 billion in June to double its reach in the country's western provinces.
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $400 million, 2nd-biggest ever
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year |
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- Thousands of South Africans line up to see Mandela lie in state |
- China bitcoin arbitrage ends as traders work around capital controls