U.S. says reports of American militant death in Somalia 'credible'
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Reports that a U.S.-born Islamist militant was killed in Somalia are "credible," a State Department spokeswoman said on Friday.
Residents in a village in southern Somalia said Alabama-born Omar Hammami was killed in a gun battle on Thursday, after he had a falling out with the al Shabaab rebel group's top commander.
"These reports appear to be credible but (we) are not in a position, at this time, to confirm" them, State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said.
- Special Report: Thailand secretly supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking rings |
- UPDATE 1-China central bank warns banks against use of bitcoin
- The 10 Most Corrupt and Least Corrupt Countries in the World
- China central bank warns banks against use of bitcoin
- China's airspace zone has caused apprehension: Biden |