U.S. says reports of American militant death in Somalia 'credible'
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Reports that a U.S.-born Islamist militant was killed in Somalia are "credible," a State Department spokeswoman said on Friday.
Residents in a village in southern Somalia said Alabama-born Omar Hammami was killed in a gun battle on Thursday, after he had a falling out with the al Shabaab rebel group's top commander.
"These reports appear to be credible but (we) are not in a position, at this time, to confirm" them, State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said.
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail |
- Suspect in Pennsylvania police ambush captured after seven-week manhunt |
- Global shares jump, yen slumps as BOJ cranks up stimulus |
- Japan's central bank shocks markets with more easing as inflation slows
- Oil price declines have small-cap shale investors scrambling