U.S. says reports of American militant death in Somalia 'credible'
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Reports that a U.S.-born Islamist militant was killed in Somalia are "credible," a State Department spokeswoman said on Friday.
Residents in a village in southern Somalia said Alabama-born Omar Hammami was killed in a gun battle on Thursday, after he had a falling out with the al Shabaab rebel group's top commander.
"These reports appear to be credible but (we) are not in a position, at this time, to confirm" them, State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said.
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- New York police officer critically wounded in hatchet attack
- Doctor with Ebola in New York hospital after return from Guinea
- Exclusive: Charred tanks in Ukraine point to Russian involvement
- Ground offensive against Islamic State months away in Iraq: U.S.