U.S. says reports of American militant death in Somalia 'credible'
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Reports that a U.S.-born Islamist militant was killed in Somalia are "credible," a State Department spokeswoman said on Friday.
Residents in a village in southern Somalia said Alabama-born Omar Hammami was killed in a gun battle on Thursday, after he had a falling out with the al Shabaab rebel group's top commander.
"These reports appear to be credible but (we) are not in a position, at this time, to confirm" them, State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said.
- Confusion as search for Malaysian jet spreads across SE Asia |
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Toddler found with heroin at New Jersey daycare center
- Special Report: How China's official bank card is used to smuggle money |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source