U.S. says reports of American militant death in Somalia 'credible'
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Reports that a U.S.-born Islamist militant was killed in Somalia are "credible," a State Department spokeswoman said on Friday.
Residents in a village in southern Somalia said Alabama-born Omar Hammami was killed in a gun battle on Thursday, after he had a falling out with the al Shabaab rebel group's top commander.
"These reports appear to be credible but (we) are not in a position, at this time, to confirm" them, State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said.
- Alibaba IPO ranks as world's biggest after additional shares sold
- Study of smoking cancer patients fuels e-cigarette debate
- Exclusive: Iran seeks give and take on Islamic State militants, nuclear program
- Islamic State closes in on Syrian town, refugees flood into Turkey |
- Accused White House intruder is decorated Iraq war veteran