Iran praises Syria's decision to join chemical arms pact
BISHKEK (Reuters) - Iran supports the Russian initiative to put Syria's chemical weapons arsenal under international control and the decision by Damascus to join a global anti-chemical weapons treaty, President Hassan Rouhani said on Friday.
"We would like to support all these efforts ... the Russian initiative and Syria's decision to join the convention focused on chemical weapons," Rouhani said at a summit of a regional security group led by China and Russia.
(Reporting By Alexei Anishchuk; Editing by STeve Guttreman)
- U.S.'s Kerry expresses regret to India over diplomat case |
- Mega Millions winners in Georgia, California to split $648 million |
- China confirms near miss with U.S. ship in South China Sea
- Washington, DC city council raises minimum wage to $11.50/hr in 2016
- Fed cuts bond buying in first step away from historic stimulus |
During Soviet times, Sochi gained a reputation for tolerance but the city's once vibrant gay scene has been shrinking as Russia prepares to host the 2014 Winter Games. Slideshow