RPT-UPDATE 1-Volcan says two new silver projects to raise output next year
AREQUIPA, Peru, Sept 17 (Reuters) - Peruvian miner Volcan expects two new silver projects to add 8 million ounces to its current annual output of 22 million ounces, the company's president said on Tuesday.
The two projects, worth a combined investment of $380 million, should start producing in January and February 2014, Jose Picasso told reporters at a mining conference in Peru.
"These two projects will allow Volcan to add another 8 million ounces of silver on top of current production," he said.
Volcan, a major zinc and silver producer, could increase silver production with another 6 million ounces when a third project starts operating in 2016 or 2017, Picasso said.
"Volcan would then produce up to 36 million ounces" of silver, he said.
- Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729 |
- S&P500 index posts worst fall since April; indexes down for July
- U.S. man sues soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo over CR7 trademark
- Israel, Palestinian militant groups agree to three-day Gaza truce |
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |