RPT-UPDATE 1-Volcan says two new silver projects to raise output next year
AREQUIPA, Peru, Sept 17 (Reuters) - Peruvian miner Volcan expects two new silver projects to add 8 million ounces to its current annual output of 22 million ounces, the company's president said on Tuesday.
The two projects, worth a combined investment of $380 million, should start producing in January and February 2014, Jose Picasso told reporters at a mining conference in Peru.
"These two projects will allow Volcan to add another 8 million ounces of silver on top of current production," he said.
Volcan, a major zinc and silver producer, could increase silver production with another 6 million ounces when a third project starts operating in 2016 or 2017, Picasso said.
"Volcan would then produce up to 36 million ounces" of silver, he said.
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Billy Joel, Shirley MacLaine feted at Kennedy Center Honors
- Singapore hit by rare outbreak of rioting, 27 arrested |