U.S. Navy shooting suspect honorably discharged from Reserve despite misconduct
WASHINGTON, Sept 17
WASHINGTON, Sept 17 (Reuters) - The Texas man suspected of killing 12 people in a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard received an honorable discharge from the Navy Reserve in 2011, even though he exhibited a pattern of misconduct during his career, a Navy official said on Tuesday.
Initial reports indicated that the man, Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old Navy contractor, had received a general discharge from the reserve, a category that suggests misconduct. But the Navy official said Alexis had applied for and received an honorable discharge under the early enlisted transition program.
A military official said before discharging him honorably, the military had been pursuing a general discharge against Alexis on a series of eight to 10 misconduct charges, ranging from traffic offenses to disorderly conduct.
- WTO overcomes last minute hitch to reach its first global trade deal
- Colorado baker discriminated by denying gay couple wedding cake: judge
- Flights delayed as air pollution hits record in Shanghai
- Amish girl in Ohio will not be forced to resume chemo for cancer
- South Africa mourns Mandela, will bury him on December 15 |