House Republican plan includes debt limit measures in funding bill: lawmaker
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A House Republican spending bill would include a provision designed to prevent a devastating debt default if Congress does not raise the debt ceiling on time, lawmakers said on Wednesday.
Although the legislative language has not been finalized, the spending bill would also instruct the Treasury Department to prioritize its debt payments in the event of a government default.
President Barack Obama's administration has warned Congress that it must raise the debt limit before mid-October or there will not be enough revenue for government payments including debt payments.
(Reporting by Rachelle Younglai; editing by Christopher Wilson)
- Obama and Castro shake hands, Zuma humiliated at Mandela memorial |
- Google bus blocked in San Francisco gentrification protest
- Reporter can keep sources secret in Colorado theater shooting: court
- Couple, four children missing in Nevada found safe in canyon
- Regulators seek to curb Wall St. trades with Volcker rule |
Our day's top images, in-depth photo essays and offbeat slices of life. See the best of Reuters photography. See more