U.S. House Republican plan includes debt limit measures in funding bill-lawmaker
WASHINGTON, Sept 18
WASHINGTON, Sept 18 (Reuters) - A U.S. House Republican spending bill would include a provision designed to prevent a devastating debt default if Congress does not raise the debt ceiling on time, lawmakers said on Wednesday.
Although the legislative language has not been finalized, the spending bill would also instruct the U.S. Treasury Department to prioritize its debt payments in the event of a government default.
President Barack Obama's administration has warned Congress that it must raise the debt limit before mid-October or there will not be enough revenue for government payments including debt payments.
- White House reverses, says Obama met uncle and lived with him during law school
- With song and sadness, South Africans mourn Mandela |
- RPT-UPDATE 1-Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image
- UPDATE 1-Study casts doubt on whether extra vitamin D prevents disease
- U.S. television, Twitter, alive with new version of 'Sound of Music'