Canada's Flaherty to make announcement on securities - official
OTTAWA, Sept 19
OTTAWA, Sept 19 (Reuters) - Canadian Finance Minister Jim Flaherty will make an announcement about securities on Thursday, a government official told Reuters.
Flaherty is due to speak to reporters at 10 a.m. eastern (1400 GMT). Ottawa has tried for decades to replace a patchwork of 13 provincial regulators with a single national watchdog more in tune with today's globalized markets.
Ontario and British Columbia have expressed support for the idea while the largely French-speaking province of Quebec opposes it.
- Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- Record cold, ice grip U.S.; more snow to blanket East
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'