India cbank chief: cannot conclude repo rate hike is negative for growth
MUMBAI, Sept 20
MUMBAI, Sept 20 (Reuters) - Reserve Bank of India Governor Raghuram Rajan said the hike made Friday in the key policy repo rate cannot be immediately viewed as negative for growth.
He added that the repo rate hike affects 0.5 percent of the entire borrowing of the banking system.
Rajan surprised markets by raising interest rates to ward off rising inflation while scaling back some emergency measures put in place to support the ailing rupee.
For more on the central bank decision, see
(Reporting by Neha Dasgupta and Mumbai Treasury Desk; Editing by Richard Borsuk)
- Target holiday cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards
- UPDATE 3-Saab wins Brazil jet deal after NSA spying sours Boeing bid
- Home sales tumble, jobless claims at near nine-month high
- Zuckerberg to sell Facebook shares worth about $2.3 billion
- Special Report: Why Ukraine spurned the EU and embraced Russia