Syria has disclosed full chemical weapons stockpile details -watchdog
AMSTERDAM, Sept 21
AMSTERDAM, Sept 21 (Reuters) - Syria has disclosed all the information on its chemical weapons that was expected by an agreed Saturday deadline, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said.
The disclosure is a crucial stage in the process that should lead to the weapons' destruction. Syria is believed to possess about 1,000 tonnes of toxins, and has agreed to destroy them under a joint Russian-U.S. proposal designed to avert a U.S. military strike on Syria.
"The Technical Secretariat is currently reviewing the information received," a statement on the OPCW website said.
- Confusion as search for Malaysian jet spreads across SE Asia |
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Toddler found with heroin at New Jersey daycare center
- Special Report: How China's official bank card is used to smuggle money |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source