Death toll in attack on Baghdad Shi'ite stronghold rises to 50: sources
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The death toll from a bomb attack on Saturday in Baghdad's Shi'ite stronghold of Sadr City has risen to 50, police and medics said.
Police said a car bomb went off near a funeral tent, a suicide bomber driving a car then blew himself up, and a third explosion followed as police, ambulances and firefighters were gathering at the scene.
(Reporting by Kareem Raheem; Writing by Isabel Coles; Editing by Kevin Liffey)
- Obama and Castro shake hands, Zuma humiliated at Mandela memorial |
- Google bus blocked in San Francisco gentrification protest
- Thai PM urges protesters to take part in election |
- Reporter allowed to keep sources secret in Colorado theater shooting
- U.S. regulators seek to curb Wall St. trades with Volcker rule
Protesters block several main streets in Kiev, responding to calls from opposition leaders to defend their demonstration from possible police intervention. Slideshow