Merkel's conservatives shy of absolute majority-TV projections
BERLIN, Sept 22
BERLIN, Sept 22 (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservatives are just shy of winning an absolute majority of seats in parliament, according to television projections on Sunday night.
Projections from public broadcaster ARD showed her Christian Democrats (CDU) and their Bavarian sister party, the Christian Social Union (CSU), with 297 seats in the Bundestag lower house, against 301 for the combined opposition.
A separate projection from ZDF showed the CDU/CSU dead even with the other three parties that have made it into parliament, the Social Democrats (SPD), Greens and Left party.
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- U.S. diplomats, but not prosecutors, seek to quell India dispute |
- Last-minute Obamacare exemption for those with canceled plans
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter