Restart of construction at Peru mine 'not imminent'- Newmont CEO
DENVER, Sept 24
DENVER, Sept 24 (Reuters) - A restart of construction at Newmont Mining Corp's controversial Conga mine in Peru is "not imminent", the company's chief executive told Reuters on Tuesday.
Chief Executive Gary Goldberg said the situation in Peru is improving, but he said the earliest he would take the Conga project back to his board for a decision would be in early 2015, after elections in the region.
The rich gold development in northern Peru is a joint venture with Peruvian miner Companias de Minas Buenaventura .
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $400 million, 2nd-biggest ever
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Thousands of South Africans line up to see Mandela lie in state |
- China bitcoin arbitrage ends as traders work around capital controls