Russia says hopes for UN agreement on Syria resolution this week
MOSCOW, Sept 24
MOSCOW, Sept 24 (Reuters) - Russia hopes the U.N. Security Council will reach agreement this week on a resolution supporting a deal for Syria to abandon its chemical weapons, but there is no guarantee, Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said on Tuesday.
Ryabkov, speaking in the Russian parliament, reiterated that Russia would not accept a resolution that would trigger automatic punitive measures in the event of Syrian non-compliance with its obligations.
- Search for Malaysian plane may extend to Indian Ocean - U.S |
- Search for Malaysian plane may extend to Indian Ocean: U.S. |
- Nose gear on plane collapses at Philadelphia airport
- Russia holds war games near Ukraine; Merkel warns of catastrophe |
- Asian stocks tumble, yen stands tall as Ukraine crisis darkens mood