Texan killed her husband and their 3 kids, then herself: sheriff
AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - A North Texas woman shot dead her husband and three children before turning the gun on herself, authorities said on Tuesday, adding that they still do not know her motive.
Guadalupe Ronquillo-Ovalle, 33, used a .22-caliber semi-automatic long rifle to shoot her husband, Israel Chairez Alvarez, and sons, ages 10, 8, and 4, in the chest at their home in Rice, Texas, about 45 miles southeast of Dallas, Navarro County Sheriff Elmer Tanner said.
After killing her family, she killed herself with a single shot to the head, Tanner said.
The shootings appeared to have happened on Thursday or Friday, but their bodies weren't found until Sunday, when Alvarez's father discovered them and called police, Tanner said.
The slayings came two weeks after Alvarez was arrested on a misdemeanor assault charge stemming from a domestic violence report by neighbors.
(Reporting by Karen Brooks; Editing by Scott Malone and James Dalgleish)
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- Probation for drunk Texas teen driver who killed four sparks backlash
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study
- South Africa admits mistake over 'schizophrenic' Mandela signer |
Thousands line up to say goodbye to Nelson Mandela, whose body is lying in state in Pretoria. Slideshow