London Stock Exchange gains from firms raising more capital
* Equity capital raised rises to 9.3 bln stg from 4 bln stg
* UK equity trading up 5 percent
LONDON, Sept 26 (Reuters) - The London Stock Exchange said on Thursday it has made good progress since the start of its financial year as firms raised more capital on its markets and daily trading on its flagship British stock market rose 5 percent.
In a pre-close statement, the exchange said total equity capital raised in the five months to end-August reached 9.3 billion pounds ($14.94 billion), compared with 4 billion pounds the year earlier. The pipeline for further issuance was encouraging, the statement added.
As well as UK equity markets, trading in fixed income increased and the LCH.Clearnet business in which it acquired a majority stake in May, delivered strong growth, the statement said.
Its weak spots included its Italian business, where daily equity trading volumes fell 7 percent year-on-year, and derivatives, where volumes sank 31 percent.
- White House reverses, says Obama met uncle and lived with him during law school
- South Africans, some fearful, wake to life without Mandela |
- U.S. television, Twitter, alive with new version of 'Sound of Music'
- RPT-UPDATE 1-Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image
- Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image