Russian U.N. envoy hopes for Friday vote on Syria resolution
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Russia's U.N. envoy said he hoped the U.N. Security Council would be able to vote on a resolution demanding the eradication of Syria's chemical weapons arsenal on Friday evening.
"We hope tomorrow night at ...(around) 8:00 p.m (0000 GMT on Saturday)," Russian Ambassador Vitaly Churkin told reporters on Thursday. "I know that some ministers are extending their stay in New York in order to participate in that vote."
(Reporting by Michelle Nichols; writing by Louis Charbonneau)
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- North Korea executes leader's powerful uncle in rare public purge |
- Twitter backtracks on block feature after users revolt
- Insight: In Yemen, al Qaeda gains sympathy amid U.S. drone strikes
- Iran angry over U.S. sanctions, nuclear talks interrupted