White House warns U.S. House it's moving toward gov't shutdown
WASHINGTON, Sept 28
WASHINGTON, Sept 28 (Reuters) - White House press secretary Jay Carney said on Saturday that any lawmaker who votes for a new House Republican government funding bill is "voting for a shutdown."
In a brief statement, Carney said the Republican-led House of Representatives needed to pass instead the measure approved by the Democratic-led Senate on Friday that, unlike the House alternative, would fund the healthcare law known as Obamacare.
- Deadly gun attack in eastern Ukraine shakes fragile Geneva accord |
- Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks angering China
- Pfizer considers $100 billion bid for AstraZeneca: report
- Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts |
- Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, U.S. boxer famous in folk song, dies at 76