White House warns U.S. House it's moving toward gov't shutdown
WASHINGTON, Sept 28
WASHINGTON, Sept 28 (Reuters) - White House press secretary Jay Carney said on Saturday that any lawmaker who votes for a new House Republican government funding bill is "voting for a shutdown."
In a brief statement, Carney said the Republican-led House of Representatives needed to pass instead the measure approved by the Democratic-led Senate on Friday that, unlike the House alternative, would fund the healthcare law known as Obamacare.
- Cortege departs to take Mandela's body to lie in state |
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $344 million, fourth biggest in its history
- UPDATE 1-U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $344 million, fourth biggest in its history
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- Ukrainian riot police clash with protesters in Kiev square