Bridgestone reaches deal to avoid Italy plant closure
ROME, Sept 30
ROME, Sept 30 (Reuters) - Italian tyre group Bridgestone has reached a deal that will avoid closure of its plant near the southern Italian city of Bari, the industry ministry said on Monday.
The government has pressed Bridgestone for months not to close down the passenger car tyre plant at Modugno outside Bari, which employs 950 workers in a region of high unemployment.
Under the accord, signed with unions and local authorities, Bridgestone will transfer some production from sites in Asia, bringing total output from the plant to 3.5 million tyres a year.
- Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border |
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site |
- Court orders Russia to pay $50 billion for seizing Yukos assets |
- Man found dead trapped between elevator and shaft wall in NYC
- Wall Street yawns as deal news offsets data; Herbalife sinks