Bridgestone reaches deal to avoid Italy plant closure
ROME, Sept 30
ROME, Sept 30 (Reuters) - Italian tyre group Bridgestone has reached a deal that will avoid closure of its plant near the southern Italian city of Bari, the industry ministry said on Monday.
The government has pressed Bridgestone for months not to close down the passenger car tyre plant at Modugno outside Bari, which employs 950 workers in a region of high unemployment.
Under the accord, signed with unions and local authorities, Bridgestone will transfer some production from sites in Asia, bringing total output from the plant to 3.5 million tyres a year.
- Deadly gun attack in eastern Ukraine shakes fragile Geneva accord |
- Japan PM makes offering to Yasukuni Shrine; China seizes ship
- South Korea president says conduct of ferry crew tantamount to murder |
- Australia sees 'regroup' on Malaysian plane search in a few days |
- Asian stocks subdued on Ukraine caution in holiday-thinned trade