Bridgestone reaches deal to avoid Italy plant closure
ROME, Sept 30
ROME, Sept 30 (Reuters) - Italian tyre group Bridgestone has reached a deal that will avoid closure of its plant near the southern Italian city of Bari, the industry ministry said on Monday.
The government has pressed Bridgestone for months not to close down the passenger car tyre plant at Modugno outside Bari, which employs 950 workers in a region of high unemployment.
Under the accord, signed with unions and local authorities, Bridgestone will transfer some production from sites in Asia, bringing total output from the plant to 3.5 million tyres a year.
- Islamic State video purports to show beheading of UK hostage David Haines |
- North Korea sentences U.S. citizen Matthew Miller to six years hard labor |
- UK's Cameron resists calls for air strikes despite hostage killing |
- Scots independence battle reaches fever pitch on streets and screens |
- NATO countries have begun arms deliveries to Ukraine: defense minister |