At least 13 drown in migrant boat off Sicily
PALERMO, Italy (Reuters) - At least 13 people on a migrant boat arriving in Sicily drowned close to the coast near the eastern city of Ragusa, apparently after trying to disembark from their stranded vessel, Italian authorities said on Monday.
Officials said the boat was carrying around 250 people but there was no immediate word on where they came from.
Thousands of migrants have arrived in packed boats in southern Italy during the summer sailing season this year with refugees from the civil war in Syria adding to the near daily arrivals of boats from North Africa.
(Reporting by Wladimiro Pantaleone; Writing by James Mackenzie; Editing by Angus MacSwan)
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Bitter cold, ice slam U.S. East Coast; South still freezing
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Venezuela's Maduro to raise pressure on business after local vote
Protesters respond to calls to defend their demonstration from possible police intervention. Slideshow