Azerbaijan's ruling party claims reelection victory for president
BAKU (Reuters) - Azerbaijan's ruling party claimed President Ilham Aliyev won re-election in the former Soviet republic on Wednesday, citing exit polls that gave him more than 80 percent of the vote.
"There are grounds to congratulate Aliyev on his victory. We trust the exit-poll results ... Aliyev is the elected president and he will be ruling our country for the next five years," New Azerbaijan party executive secretary Ali Akhmedov said.
(Reporting by Margarita Antidze, Writing by Thomas Grove, Editing by Steve Gutterman)
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study
- Signer says suffered schizophrenic episode at Mandela memorial |
- Missouri executes man for killing good Samaritan motorist in 1994
- Thai military chief rebuffs meeting request in blow to protesters |
- Apple scores legal victory over Samsung in South Korea