U.S.: will announce Egypt aid decision after diplomatic notification
WASHINGTON Oct 9 (Reuters) - The United States will announce the future of its assistance to Egypt after making appropriate diplomatic and congressional notifications, the White House said on Wednesday.
White House spokesman Jay Carney said Washington would continue to work with Egypt's interim government.
A U.S. official said on Tuesday the United States was leaning toward withholding most military aid to Egypt except to promote counter-terrorism and other security priorities. Egypt has been among the largest recipients of U.S. military and economic aid for decades.
- South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's |
- Four dead in apparent Connecticut murder-suicide
- Dynasty's Congress party punished in Indian state elections
- U.S. war veteran released by North Korea returns home |
- Ukrainian protesters topple Lenin statue in challenge to Yanukovich