House Republicans, White House talk on temporary debt limit
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - House Republican leaders were negotiating with the White House on Thursday evening over the length of a temporary increase in the debt limit as well as over funding to reopen the federal government, a senior House Republican aide said.
House leaders were huddled in House Speaker John Boehner's office after presenting their plan for a short-term hike in the debt limit to avoid a potential default to President Barack Obama.
(Reporting by David Lawder; editing by Jackie Frank)
- South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's |
- Four dead in apparent Connecticut murder-suicide
- Dynasty's Congress party punished in Indian state elections
- Ukrainian protesters topple Lenin statue in challenge to Yanukovich
- U.S. war veteran released by North Korea returns home |
Nelson Mandela: 1918 - 2013
Reuters looks at the life and times of Nelson Mandela, an icon of peace and reconciliation who came to embody the struggle for justice around the world. Video