Senate Republicans expected to block bill to raise debt limit: source
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republicans in the Senate are expected to block on Saturday a bill by President Barack Obama's Democrats to increase the U.S. debt limit through 2014, a senior congressional aide said.
The aide said Democrats were prepared to try to build up support and bring up the bill again in coming days. The bill was expected to be blocked on Saturday by a Republican procedural hurdle that takes 60 votes to clear in the 100-member chamber. Democrats control the Senate, 54-46.
(Reporting By Thomas Ferraro)
- U.S. war veteran released by North Korea returns home |
- South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's |
- Dynasty's Congress party punished in Indian state elections
- South Korea to make announcement on air zone; expansion is anticipated |
- Pennsylvania newlyweds "just wanted to murder someone together:" police
Nelson Mandela: 1918 - 2013
Reuters looks at the life and times of Nelson Mandela, an icon of peace and reconciliation who came to embody the struggle for justice around the world. Video