US STOCKS SNAPSHOT-Wall St ends volatile session with modest gains
NEW YORK Oct 14 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks ended a volatile session with slight gains on Monday as investors bet that there would soon be a deal in Washington to increase the debt limit, though there were no obvious signs of progress.
The Dow Jones industrial average was up 63.90 points, or 0.42 percent, at 15,301.01. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index was up 7.03 points, or 0.41 percent, at 1,710.23. The Nasdaq Composite Index was up 23.40 points, or 0.62 percent, at 3,815.28.
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $400 million, 2nd-biggest ever
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year |
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- Thousands of South Africans line up to see Mandela lie in state |
- China bitcoin arbitrage ends as traders work around capital controls