Boehner: U.S. House Republicans will not block Senate fiscal plan
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives John Boehner said on Wednesday that his chamber will not block the Senate plan to end the government shutdown and raise the federal debt.
In a brief statement, Boehner said his Republican lawmakers would continue the fight against President Barack Obama's healthcare overhaul and for fiscal responsibility.
"But," Boehner added, "blocking the bipartisan agreement reached today by members of the Senate will not be a tactic for us."
- Lightning, rain fail to deter resolute Hong Kong protesters |
- Kurds seize Iraq/Syria border post; Sunni tribe joins fight against Islamic State |
- Special Report: Islamic State uses grain to tighten grip in Iraq
- Protesters stay out on Hong Kong streets, defying Beijing |
- EBay follows Icahn's advice, plans PayPal spinoff in 2015 |