Boehner: U.S. House Republicans will not block Senate fiscal plan
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives John Boehner said on Wednesday that his chamber will not block the Senate plan to end the government shutdown and raise the federal debt.
In a brief statement, Boehner said his Republican lawmakers would continue the fight against President Barack Obama's healthcare overhaul and for fiscal responsibility.
"But," Boehner added, "blocking the bipartisan agreement reached today by members of the Senate will not be a tactic for us."
- Body of Korean boy who raised ferry alarm believed found |
- Children's corpses reveal desperate attempts to escape Korean ferry |
- Obama reaffirms commitment to Japan on tour of Asia allies
- UPDATE 2-Body of Korean boy who raised ferry alarm believed found
- U.S. mother, officials settle suit over airport breast milk