Boehner: U.S. House Republicans will not block Senate fiscal plan
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives John Boehner said on Wednesday that his chamber will not block the Senate plan to end the government shutdown and raise the federal debt.
In a brief statement, Boehner said his Republican lawmakers would continue the fight against President Barack Obama's healthcare overhaul and for fiscal responsibility.
"But," Boehner added, "blocking the bipartisan agreement reached today by members of the Senate will not be a tactic for us."
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane |
- At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760 |
- Exclusive: Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- U.S. House panel votes to authorize lawsuit against Obama
- Lawyers call for outside probe of 'bungled' Arizona execution |