Chipmaker Altera's profit falls 24 pct
Oct 22 (Reuters) - Programmable-chip maker Altera Corp reported a 24 percent fall in quarterly profit and projected a decrease in sales in the fourth quarter from the third quarter.
Altera shares fell 6 percent in extended trading after closing at $37.32 on the Nasdaq on Tuesday.
Net income fell to $119.4 million, or 37 cents per share, in the third quarter, from $157.5 million, 49 cents per share, a year earlier.
Revenue fell 10 percent to $445.9 million.
The company said it expects sales for the fourth quarter to be down 3 percent to up 1 percent, compared with the third quarter.
Altera's semiconductor chips are sold off the shelf and can be programmed by customers to do specific tasks.
- Target stores' customers hit by major credit card attack
- UPDATE 3-Saab wins Brazil jet deal after NSA spying sours Boeing bid
- As Modi storms into India's election, a quiet alternative emerges
- Facebook, Zuckerberg, banks must face IPO lawsuit: judge
- U.S. prosecutor defends treatment of Indian diplomat |