Canada's Competition Bureau approves Sobeys-Safeway deal
Oct 22 (Reuters) - Empire Co Ltd, the operator of Canadian grocery chain Sobeys, said on Tuesday that Canada's Competition Bureau had approved its acquisition of substantially all of Safeway Inc's assets in Canada.
As part of the approval, Empire has agreed to divest 23 stores spread across the provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
In June, Empire announced it was acquiring Safeway Inc's assets in Canada for $5.7 billion, in a move that would nearly double its reach in the country's western provinces.
- White House reverses, says Obama met uncle and lived with him during law school
- Flights delayed as air pollution hits record in Shanghai
- South Africa mourns Mandela, will bury him on December 15 |
- Analysis: Boeing bidders dangle goodies to win 777X jetliner
- RPT-UPDATE 1-Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image