Fairfax Financial takes loss on investments
TORONTO Oct 31 (Reuters) - Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd , the Canadian property and casualty insurer run by investment guru Prem Watsa, reported a third-quarter loss on Thursday, due largely to unrealized losses in its investment portfolio.
The Toronto-based company, which is leading a $4.7 billion bid for smartphone maker Blackberry, posted a net loss of $571.7 million, or $29.02 a share, for the quarter ended Sept. 30.
That compared with a year-before profit of $33.4 million, or 84 cents a share.
- IPhone emerges from 'bygone era', reviewers hail bigger handset
- Fed may hint on rate-hike plan as it prepares for policy turn
- Scots' support for independence lags on eve of referendum |
- Boeing, SpaceX win contracts to build 'space taxis' for NASA
- Islamic State campaign tests Obama's commitment to Mideast allies