Fairfax Financial takes loss on investments
TORONTO Oct 31 (Reuters) - Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd , the Canadian property and casualty insurer run by investment guru Prem Watsa, reported a third-quarter loss on Thursday, due largely to unrealized losses in its investment portfolio.
The Toronto-based company, which is leading a $4.7 billion bid for smartphone maker Blackberry, posted a net loss of $571.7 million, or $29.02 a share, for the quarter ended Sept. 30.
That compared with a year-before profit of $33.4 million, or 84 cents a share.
- Washington state teen shooter's family living in 'nightmare'
- Suspect in two California deputy deaths charged with murder, carjacking
- U.S. nurse quarantined over Ebola criticizes her treatment |
- Iraqi security forces and Kurds gain ground against Islamic State
- Police seek motive in fatal Washington state school shooting