Israeli troops kill Palestinian during West Bank raid: medics
JENIN, West Bank
JENIN, West Bank (Reuters) - Israeli troops shot dead a Palestinian during a clash in the occupied West Bank on Thursday, Palestinian witnesses and medical officials said.
An Israeli military spokeswoman said the soldiers had been on an overnight raid in a village near the city of Jenin, when about 50 Palestinians started hurling rocks at them.
Ahmed Imad Yusef, 21, was shot in the chest during the confrontation, medical workers said. Locals said Yusef was not a militant and worked in a vegetable market.
The military spokeswoman said reports of a Palestinian casualty were being investigated.
Violence has been on the rise in recent weeks in the West Bank. Seven other Palestinians have been shot dead in the territory by Israeli troops and three Israelis have been killed since Israeli-Palestinian peace talks resumed in July.
(This story was refiled to remove extraneous word in 2nd paragraph)
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plow |
- Pistorius starts five-year term for killing Reeva Steenkamp |
- Ebola crisis turns a corner as U.S. issues new treatment protocols
- Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta dead at 82 |
- U.S. Congress examining deal between NSA official, ex-agency chief