Hanover police bring home the bacon ahead of derby
BERLIN (Reuters) - Hanover police were called into action ahead of Friday's Lower Saxony derby between Hanover 96 and Eintracht Braunschweig, picking up a pig sporting a Hanover 96 scarf in the city center as tempers between fans rose, they said on Thursday.
With 96 written on one side and a green scarf around its neck, the pig was spotted wandering through the city on Wednesday night.
Police, who have since transferred it to a shelter, are on full alert ahead of the first Bundesliga derby in 37 years between the bitter regional rivals.
(Reporting by Karolos Grohmann, editing by Ed Osmond)
- U.S. nurse quarantined over Ebola criticizes her treatment |
- U.S. diplomat travels to West Africa as Ebola quarantine moves take hold |
- Washington state teen shooter's family living in 'nightmare'
- Iraqi security forces and Kurds gain ground against Islamic State
- Suspect in two California deputy deaths charged with murder, carjacking