Exclusive: U.S. aircraft carrier to support Philippines relief efforts
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will send the USS George Washington aircraft carrier to support relief efforts in the Philippines, as the U.S. military ramps assistance after a devastating typhoon killed an estimated 10,000 people, a U.S. defense official told Reuters on Monday.
The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, could not immediately provide further details.
The aircraft carrier has been on a port visit to Hong Kong.
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plow |
- Pistorius starts five-year term for killing Reeva Steenkamp |
- Ebola crisis turns a corner as U.S. issues new treatment protocols
- Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta dead at 82 |
- U.S. Congress examining deal between NSA official, ex-agency chief