Congo blames mediator Uganda for collapse of rebel talks

KINSHASA Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:03am EST

KINSHASA (Reuters) - The Congolese government delegation has left Ugandan-hosted talks with M23 rebels after the two sides failed to agree on the wording of a document due to officially end the insurgency.

A spokesman for the government, Lambert Mende, blamed mediator Uganda for the breakdown.

"Uganda seems now to be acting as part of the conflict. It has interests in M23," he said.

The failure to sign a document to end the conflict shows the

deep mistrust in the region, a barrier standing in the way of long-term peace despite the defeat of the M23's 20-month insurgency by Congo's United Nations-backed army.

Okello Oryem, Uganda's junior foreign affairs minister, said he expected it would take a few more days before any deal could be signed. Oryem did not comment on Congolese accusations that Uganda was backing the rebels.

Mende said the government was not prepared to sign a deal with a rebel movement that had already declared its own dissolution. Kinshasa wants the rebels to pledge not to take up arms again, he said.

Despite the demise of M23, a plethora of other rebel groups operate in Congo's mineral-rich east, which is also riddled with conflicts over land, ethnicity and access to resources.

(Additional reporting by Richard Lough in Entebbe; Writing by David Lewis; Editing by Angus MacSwan)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (2)
PeaceinDRC wrote:
A spokesman for the government, Lambert Mende, blamed mediator Uganda for the breakdown.

“Uganda seems now to be acting as part of the conflict. It has interests in M23,” he said.

Nov 12, 2013 10:27am EST  --  Report as abuse
PeaceinDRC wrote:
A spokesman for the government, Lambert Mende, blamed mediator Uganda for the breakdown.

“Uganda seems now to be acting as part of the conflict. It has interests in M23,” he said.

That is the problem, those “Kampala Talks” have no legitimacy since Uganda with Rwanda have teamed up to support M23 as they kill, rape loot, enlist child soldiers and commit flagrant human rights abuses in Congo. Those “Kampala talks” are a joke and an exercise of futility! If anything Congo should focus on dialogue between Congolese communities in Congo, building a professional army to serve as deterrent s to wannabe Congo aggressors. On the immediate Congo should take care of Rwanda soldiers who illegally just cross into Congo again.

Nov 12, 2013 10:33am EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

Pictures